Tuesday 21 June 2011

Practicing the Chi technique

When you learn the chi running technique you will need to practice it like everything new it takes practice and it is gradual progress. The best advice I can give following a chi clinic is that every time you go for a walk or run you focus on the body by body sensing and asking yourself questions to check that you are using the chi technique.


This means you need to ditch the mp3 or ipod for a while so that you can hear yourself asking questions like, am I landing on my mid-foot while running, can I feel my lower abs slightly taught, are my ankles and calves completely relaxed, am I holding tension anywhere, what way are my arms swinging, where am I looking etc. You learn a lot at the chi clinic and therefore there's lots to check and if you ever feel your core isn't engaged, stop, set yourself up again, lean from the ankles and fall forward.


Gradual progress is the way, one day you may focus on your armswing another day you might focus on completely relaxing the body another day you may focus on where your landing etc like all things new it takes time and practice for it all to come together and when it does it's fantastic.

check out this article on body sensing I just read after writing the above and it might help explain what I'm trying to say above http://www.irun.ca/blog/index.php/body-sensing-while-chi-running/

No comments:

Post a Comment